Sunday, June 19, 2011

A Game of Thrones

I imagine you've all watched the "A Game of Thrones" season finale by now.

That's right. I'm making that assumption. Try to stop me.

I'll be completely frank with you all. I thought they did an absolutely stupendous job adapting the books to an HBO series.

The casting was wonderful, the acting was superb, the episodes were fluid and coherent, it was just about as good as it could of been.

Some complaints might of been that it would be a bit hard to fully understand and grasp what the hell was going on for anyone who hasn't read the books. It got easier, but I feel like the first few episodes would/were hell for anyone who didn't already have an idea what was going on. They almost left out a few very minor characters completely, which isn't a real big issue, they after all weren't terribly important, but I just noticed their absence. Ned's hair should of been black, they had it more of a brown, which is cool I guess, but I specifically remember it being mentioned more than once that his hair was black.

Some reasonable complains might also involve the lack of any large scale fight scenes. They purposely avoided one or two. I understand the time and money that would go into a full scale battle scene so I don't blame them for avoiding them completely. It just kind of saddens me. I would of liked to see those battles. Though if I remember correctly George R.R. Martin didn't get too terribly detailed with those in the books either.

Other than little things like hair color and the story throwing you in a bit quickly in the first few episodes for those who didn't read the books, I still stand by my declarations that it was all masterfully done. Most of the roles were filled wonderfully. Sean Bean was a great Ned, Peter Dinklage was a great Tyrion, the Stark children were all cast pretty great, the only complaint in casting was I didn't particularly like Mark Addy as King Robert.

The finale itself was well done. They didn't do that thing where they tried way to hard to make it full of grandeur and epicness like some series' do. They just finished it up like the first book ended and some cool shit went down and that was that. Nothing flashy or stupid. Just tied up some ends, gave a few teasers, implied future awesomeness, and let us stew until what I guess will be spring of 2012.

On a completely left field turn to something as unrelated as it can get. I was sitting down to a nice home cooked meal that I and a roommate laboriously prepared and I accidentally caught an episode of "Ugly Betty".

To make a long story short, I sat through it for the sake of curiosity and I'm ashamed to admit, I didn't hate it. It's not necessarily my type of show, but for what it is I feel like it's done pretty well. It seemed like a pretty decent show for the genre and sub-genre it falls into.

It's no Spartacus or A Game of Thrones but it was, lets say, cute.

Oh, and True Blood. I've caught about the last ten minutes of every episode since AGoT first aired since it comes right before AGoT and I must say. Not a fan. I can understand why tons of vampire loving women might like it. It has vampires and witches and what I take to be romance and violence but in a context where it's somehow clearly more acceptable to women than it is in Spartacus and other such programs. So if I was a young vampire loving women I could totally see myself enjoying something like this.

But I'm not and I find it weird and kind of silly.

While I'm on the entertainment review ball here I might as well hit you with what I thought of "Green Lantern"

I thought it was great. I found it also to be very well done. I don't know a lot of the actual lore behind the Green Lantern comics but I found the movie easy to digest, fun to watch, and an all around enjoyable experience. I was considerably skeptical about Ryan Reynolds as Green Lantern but I thought he did really well. And of course Blake Lively was attractive as always. What else is there? It just turned out to be better than I expected. Though I had pretty low hopes to that's not saying a lot. But even if my hopes had been higher I feel like I wouldn't of left the theater with any regret.

No comments:

Post a Comment